Shadows of Creede
Saint Augustine's Episcopal Church
St. Augustine’s Episcopal mission was established in 1897, five years after Creede became an incorporated town. The venerable Charles Grimes, known as the “Cowboy Preacher” established St. Augustine’s, and services were held in a “rudely put up structure”. By May 1906 parishioners began to collect money for a building. The new building was first used in March of 1907. The cost was $1024.00.
Through much of its history St. Augustine’s has held services infrequently due to problems with distance and lack of priests. Most of the clergy have come from the San Luis Valley. Father Robert Whiting kept the faith alive in the San Luis Valley and Creede from 1944 until 1975. St. Augustine’s has never had a priest of its own.
The current priest at St. Augustine’s is Reverend Robert Pope.